Thursday, August 13, 2009

through the Midwest

I spent the last few days with lovely friends in Galena, Illinois and during that time enjoyed excellent beer, wine, food, fruit, laughter, coffee, conversation, and walking. Kirsten and I also took a one day roadtrip to Madison, Wisconsin to check out the city and the University. Nice place, large school, lots of water, and a laid back feel to the city. Kirsten's folks, Sandy and Ken, are the best of hosts because they love food, cooking, and their home is enveloping and offers spectacular views and vistas.

I'm missing the dogs but otherwise feel at peace with the process of not knowing. My existence feels akin to moving through a dark cave with a tiny flashlight beam to highlight the area directly around me -- there is no sense as to where I am going or where I will wind up. I cannot recall another time in my life when I allowed the mystery to be as it is without succombing to an intense need to know and to plan -- to focus my energies and actions on filling the space.

Less planning, more perfection. This be my mantra moving through the mystery with humour and faith.

2 comments:

  1. We are treasuring you in our hearts, Miss Martha, numbah one 8 girl. Last evening, I was plopping tears on the dinner table, reflecting on our nascent friendship. Cave girl with a flashlight... lioness loping across the countryside heart light illuminating the way. May our sacred Mother gently rock you and your volkswagen in her lap all the way. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Judy, Kirsten's friend. Thank you for writing this. It resonated! I too am in a similar place and need to be reminded that mystery is OK and a plan is not always necessary. I look forward to keeping up with your journey!

    ReplyDelete