Monday, October 12, 2009

the fridge magnet

This past weekend I travelled to Ontario so that I could gather with my family and celebrate the October birthdays including my father's 75th. The weather was a wonderful combination of steady rain and open blue skies. I celebrated the simple pleasures: bedrooms with only one bed, doors that close behind me, bathtubs, beer, and the kind of deep breaths that come only from a sense of privacy.

I like my family. I know that not everyone can or will say this but it's true for me. We're all quirky. We can struggle with and trigger each other. Sometimes I think that "2" is the best number for McClure's -- that when I am with just one family member our level of connection drops to greater authenticity, more honesty, and generally some good emotion. Then again, when we come together as a group, we can laugh and play in ways that bust through the generational differences. Case in point, this weekend found all 3 generations on the grassy lawn playing a competitive game of volleyball (see photo of Dad, member of the winning team).

I admit that I melted down when I went to pick up my tempermental little June-Bug from the VW mechanic outside Peterborough (her 3rd trip to the doctor in 4 months). The cost of a coil replacement has me postponing my dreams of a new camera for the time being -- and that's okay, just because I cannot see the perfection of the Universe doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Enjoy the pictures anyway.

Being around my peep's stirred up some longing for me -- I miss having a room of my own, I miss cooking for myself, I miss earning an income. My sister, Corry, is learning and practicing pottery. She presented me with a little clay oak leaf facsimile telling me it was a fridge magnet. I sure hope it works, I'd love to attract a refrigerator into my life again one day.










3 comments:

  1. What great photos! You all have such a family resemblance. Thanks for sharing this momentous occasion. Uncle George still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fridge magnet .... rofl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been preoccupied with other less important stuff and am grateful for the chance to connect with the essentials of soul. Love ya

    ReplyDelete